s2ram (Was: Re: Request for comments: Laptop improvements)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 19:21:54 UTC 2006

On 15/06/06, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis (fedora at leemhuis.info) said:
> > That's okay for me. Are there any efforts in that direction already?
> > gnome-power-manager perhaps?
> >
> > BTW, managing whitelists and "lists with required workarounds for
> > certain laptops" really sounds like something to me that needs to be
> > handled somewhere "upstream" -- otherwise each distro would have to
> > manage its own lists and that wastes a lot of man-power without a real
> > benefit afaics...
>
> There is pm-utils work going on to integrate these sorts of things
> with HAL at freedesktop.org(?). I believe Richard Hughes has been leading
> the work, with some help from Red Hat, Ubuntu, and SuSE people.

Yes, the idea is that HAL merges FDI files that provide information
about a specific bit of hardware (matched against dmidata or similar)
that pm-utils can then use to do clever things.

For instance with HAL and pm-utils CVS I could add one fdi file to
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/ to match vendor=Intel, device=foo-bar and I
can get my screen to re-post when resuming from standby in a distro
independant way. This way we only do the work once figuring out what
systems need what quirks and all distros can be clever :-)

See the pm-utils archives and hal archives more more info.

Richard.