Request for comments: Laptop improvements

Bart Vanbrabant bart.vanbrabant at zoeloelip.be
Sat Jun 17 07:50:18 UTC 2006

> Now, what i would like to ask of you is to give me some input on what
> you think might be something where we could do better on laptops. So if
> you could spare a few minutes and write me a short email with the
> thoughts you have that would be greately appreciated.

1) Make the poweroff stuff a bit more consistent. I use the poweroff
button to shutdown my laptop because it's right above my keyboard. In
the default FC5 install both acpid and powermanager react to that event.
Powermanager will show me the poweroff menu but acpid already starts to
do a poweroff.
I disable acpid but powermanager is only working when I'm logged on, so
in gdm the poweroff button doesn't work. There is a bugs report for this
#169476

2) There are a lot of extra buttons on laptops these days, some to
launch apps and others to control mediaplayers. It would be nice if hal
could emit these events on the system bus. Now that rhythmbox supports
plugins a plugin that can map those button events to certain actions,
much like the keyboard-shortcut assignment.
If these events could be assigned like key-combinations to launchers we
would finally be able to use these extra buttons on laptops but possible
too on all those multimedia keyboards.

thanks,

Bart

--
Bart Vanbrabant <bart.vanbrabant at zoeloelip.be>
PGP fingerprint: 093C BB84 17F6 3AA6 6D5E  FC4F 84E1 FED1 E426 64D1