Cosmetic startup issue with readahead scripts

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Jun 21 16:10:16 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've been wondering about this one for some time now. I look into it
every once in a while, but never managed to figure it out, since boot
time is tricky and/or painful to reproduce with added debug.

When booting my laptop, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it elsewhere too,
some startup scripts, most notably both readahead_early and readahead
print two "OK" lines, one with the long name "background readahead" and
the other with plain "readahead" or "readahead_early".

I simply fail to find where this might come from, and was wondering if
it was some problem only on my laptop or if others were seeing it.
Running "service readahead_early restart" prints a single line as
expected.

I noticed that a script from a package of mine is doing the same,
i8kbuttons from the i8kutils package... but I can't see anything wrong
there either.

The one thing I see in common is that they all use some kind of
"manual" startup procedure with an explicit call to "echo_success"
instead of the usual call to the "daemon" function. But looking at the
echo_success function, I really don't see how it could cause that since
it really only displays "OK". Something else must be going on...

I know this is a very minor issue, but having a clean and pretty boot
sequence is quite enjoyable :-)

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have an idea what could be
causing it?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.90 (Test) - Linux kernel 2.6.17-1.2293_FC6
Load : 0.87 0.46 0.32