Announcing Fedora Core 6 Test 1 (5.90)

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 21 19:09:40 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 11:49 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Well I assumed it was, but then there was nothing to warn people about the
>> test1 CDs so I thought I should check because it seemed unlikely it had been
>> sorted for test1, and even more unlikely that the announce would neglect to
>> mention this detail
>
> It wasn't sorted on purpose, and yes I forgot to mention this little
> wrinkle.
>
> Perhaps we can get a show of hands of all the people who actually care
> about Fedora on i586 systems...
home router. toshiba i586 120MHz [32MB]
fedora test pilot +mock builder. hp omnibook 4150 pentiumII 366MHz [256M]
2nd desktop: compaq celeron 500 MHz [512M]
and my old man just found the first PC I bought [i386 dx40 16M ram > no
chance at all !]

More importantly: Using old hardware is important, even if only from an
environmental point of view. Instead of throwing stuff away to landfill
  when it's a couple (or more) years old, I think we should be trying to
keep it in use until it really dies. You can also pick up bits for
nicks. Working on low budget machines ($100 laptop project) may also
necessitate older or non mainstream (amd/intel) processors.

{I find annoying that my 2.6GHz machine doesn't do everything 7x faster
than that 366 laptop ;~}

DaveT.