installation path for cross compiler

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 22 06:45:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 08:26 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> what would be the correct installation path for a cross-compiler and
> it's support include files and libraries ?
--prefix=/usr

> For example a arm-unknown-linux-gnu-* toolset, this would include gcc,
> binutils, include files, but also libraries compiled for the target
> (which of course can not be used on the host and should not be mixed up
> with the host libraries)
>
> Should that go under something
> like /opt/crosscompiler/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/
Nope, /opt is outside of Fedora's business. It's reserved for add-on
packages outside of a distribution.

> or something like
> /usr/lib/crosstools/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/  because there is also
> a /usr/lib/gcc/<arch>/ or
> /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/ or somewhere completely different ?
Nope. The package must fold into the /usr* hierarchy.

> Locally i most of the time use some /opt/blabla/ setup, but I don#t
> think official distribution packages belong in that place, at least
> that's how I understand the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.
Exactly.

That's why we are packaging the RTEMS toolchains with
--prefix=/opt/rtems for the rtems.org supplied toolchains but are trying
to install them into --prefix=/usr for FE.

Ralf