installation path for cross compiler

Thu Jun 22 06:57:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 08:45 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 08:26 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > what would be the correct installation path for a cross-compiler and
> > it's support include files and libraries ?
> --prefix=/usr
>
> > For example a arm-unknown-linux-gnu-* toolset, this would include gcc,
> > binutils, include files, but also libraries compiled for the target
> > (which of course can not be used on the host and should not be mixed up
> > with the host libraries)
> >
> > Should that go under something
> > like /opt/crosscompiler/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/
> Nope, /opt is outside of Fedora's business. It's reserved for add-on
> packages outside of a distribution.
>
> > or something like
> > /usr/lib/crosstools/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/  because there is also
> > a /usr/lib/gcc/<arch>/ or
> > /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/ or somewhere completely different ?
> Nope. The package must fold into the /usr* hierarchy.
>
> > Locally i most of the time use some /opt/blabla/ setup, but I don#t
> > think official distribution packages belong in that place, at least
> > that's how I understand the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.
> Exactly.
>
> That's why we are packaging the RTEMS toolchains with
> --prefix=/opt/rtems for the rtems.org supplied toolchains but are trying
> to install them into --prefix=/usr for FE.

And where are you trying to install things :-) just /usr/include
and /usr/lib are not really usable, and where do the binaries go ?
For example /usr/bin/arm-unknown-linux-gnu-ld is maybe acceptable, but
that will also give a /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld, and also
a /usr/info/ld.info (collision with every other binutils package).

- Erwin