groupware for Fedora

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jun 22 12:25:36 UTC 2006

Le Jeu 22 juin 2006 13:26, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :
> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 15:40 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> Assigning copyrights doesnt require any dictator (individual) . You can
>> very well assign copyrights to foundations like Apache or organizations
>> like FSF
> Well, then let me emphasize what Alan said before: In Europe, the legal
> situation is not as clear as you seem to be presuming it.

In all continental Europe what you call copyrights has historically been
derived from the rights of book writers (civil rights), while in the USA &
England they derive from a corpus of law which was designed to formalize
assign copyrights to editors (monetize IP).

The international conventions have tried to merge both approaches, but you
should be aware their roots are very different and neither the USA nor
Europe decided to dump its maw to take the others.

Just as any other civil right european author rights are basically
inalienable. While american copyrights can always be sold, you only need
to put enough money on the table.

This does not mean european law is FOSS-unfriendly, quite the contrary
since author rights are inalienable you do not have to protect against
some unfortunate situations.

--
Nicolas Mailhot