Request for comments: Laptop improvements

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Jun 23 19:55:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 12:27 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hotkeys on laptops is kinda a mess right now.

On the topic of hotkeys, I recently got mine working. :) As it turns
out, my fairly obscure laptop* has Dritek hotkeys, supported by acerhk.
I was unable to get acerhk to compile against an FC5 kernel, and looking
through the source, I determined for this particular hardware, there's
really no need for it to even be in the kernel. All it needs is an
enable command to be sent to the keyboard controller, and it will then
just send standard keycodes. There's also commands to turn the email
light on and off. So I distilled the parts my hardware needed out into
userspace:

http://www.haxxed.com/code/dritek-tool-0.1.tar.bz2

If anyone else out there has this hardware, I'll happily submit this to
Extras. (And pull in support for other models...)

*Compal N38N2-14, apparently this model was never OEMed to a major
brand, Sceptre sells it as the S5400:
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/Notebook/s5400.htm