Moving ImageMagick to Extras?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Jun 25 10:05:55 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've just taken a good look at ImageMagick after being bitten by a bug
in convert, which I use in some of my spec files.

The open bug list on ImageMagick is quite long (not really long though)
and some of those bug look like they are not too hard to fix. So it
looks like ImageMagick could use some love and attention. Also much to
my surprise I can do "rpm -e ImageMagick" on my fairly complete FC6test1
install and it doesnot complain.

Now probably some packages in core might have ImageMagick as a BR for
convert and the likes. But it should be possible to teach that shiny new
Buildsys for core to get BR's from Extras shouldn't it? I know that
having Requires (explicit or auto) on Extra's in Core is a no no, but
BR's should be ok, or am I missing something?

As always I'm willing to put my time where my mouth is, so if
ImageMagick may move to extras then I'll volunteer to maintain it.

Regards,

Hans