strip in rpmbuild

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun Jun 25 17:48:38 UTC 2006

rc040203 at freenet.de (Ralf Corsepius) writes:

>> > This way, you change rpm to use the target's "strip" for stripping host
>> > binaries.
>>
>> And?
> A host's strip isn't necessarily compatible to a target's strip.

Please explain. There should not be a difference in strip's behaviour
between the various binutils versions and I do not think/hope that RH/FC
ships patched binutils causing incompatibilities in strip.

>>  When you read the whole posting you would have seen that the
>> cross-binutils were configured to work both with host and target
>> binaries.
> Yes, you are stirring up host and target in one big bowl.

Where is the problem? Native and cross binutils tools which are used by
the rpm helper-scripts (e.g. objdump/objcopy/strip) are compatible.

Enrico