yum ignoring cached packaged?

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 23:13:55 UTC 2006

On 6/25/06, darrell pfeifer <darrellpf at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm updating a rawhide system that hasn't seen an update
> in about a month. The yum update managed to download 750 meg
> of rpms but didn't have enough disk space to install them.
>
> I ran update on gnome, then kde. Yum used the cached
> files. I decided to update yum itself. On the next update
> yum rebuilt the sqlite cache. Subsequent yum updates are
> now downloading the rpm's again, ignoring about 500 meg
> of files sitting in /var/cache/yum.
>
> Is this a bug or expected behaviour?

Check if the packages are actually in /var/cache/yum.  Yum added a
feature recently which deletes the cached packages and headers after a
successful operation.  This is controlled by the keepcache option
which defaults to "keepcache=0".

I have noticed that doing a minor operation, like installing or
removing a single package to get the update to work, would clear all
the downloaded packages for a big update.  It shouldn't be deleting
the cached packages on a failure, but it might not be detecting
out-of-space as an error.

If bandwidth for downloading all the packages is a problem, you can
turn the feature off by changing the /etc/yum.conf to "keepcache=1".

 - Ian