yum vs apt

Jaroslaw Gorny jaroslav at aster.pl
Tue Jun 27 17:12:50 UTC 2006

Dnia poniedziałek, 26 czerwca 2006 20:16, Jose' Matos napisał:

>   If you install yum-utils and run
>
> package-cleanup --problems
>
>   what do you get?

"No problems found" <- but it's what was expected. After all, 'openjade' is
now installed ;)

Dnia poniedziałek, 26 czerwca 2006 20:17, Jose' Matos napisał:

> You can check for unresolved deps using:
>
> rpm -Va --nofiles --nomd5

Everything OK now.

> Also if you could look in /var/log/yum.log from when you installed
> docbook-dtds and see what else is listed for that time.

there's nothing about this package in yum.log

By the way, I understand, that sometimes it maight happen that dependencies
are screwed up a little. I understand that anaconda installs packages 'as
they are', without looking on dependencies.
What I don't understand is why yum, when invoked for the first time on my
fresh installed system with: 'yum check-update && yum upgrade', didn't say
something like:
"hey, you've got docbook-dtds, it requires openjade, which is missing, so I'm
going to install it". It was the first thing 'apt' has shown, when I'd
installed it yesterday.
Yum has beeen working hapily for one month (I upgrade packages at least twice
a week), but haven't noticed such a simple problem.

--
Jaroslaw Gorny
jaroslav at aster.pl