binaries and libries in /lib /bin depends on/usr

Robert Scheck fedora-devel-list.listman at linuxnetz.de
Sat Jun 3 13:41:27 UTC 2006

Hello Patrice,

On Sa, 03 Jun 2006, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> I was under the impression that the commands and libraries in /bin and
> /lib were meant to be usable without /usr mounted. Is it right?
> However rpm which is a rather important command requires libraries
> in /usr/lib:

that's really interesting. I'm using latest rpm from upstream (4.4.7-0.11)
which Fedora maintainers are currently refusing (#174307) and from upstream
rebuild, rpm is static:

$ ldd /bin/rpm
        not a dynamic executable
$

Ever thought some rpm guy said, users are expecting that rpm is repairing
their system (including glibc) when they screwed up it? But static rpm for
Fedora wasn't accepted as per bug #91649.

Greetings,
  Robert