Recent AIGLX Breakage?

Antonio Vargas windenntw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 13:37:11 UTC 2006

On 6/3/06, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 10:13 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > Transulency in any layering textual element that users are expected to
> > read is a usability killer.. full stop.  Being able to sort of read
> > the desktop underneath the text in an semi-transparent open window,
> > just means you can sort of not read any of the text at all.
>
> Notice in the later releases of OSX, the transparency got toned WAY down
> from the early versions. The transparent unfocused titlebars went away.

Yes

> Also, while the menus are still transparent, they're only very slightly
> transparent to the point that I wonder why they even bother.

Just to show-off the capability ;)

> The key issue is contrast between foreground and background. If you just
> layer text over text, they compete with each other. Transparency could
> be made workable by *blurring* out the background, to reduce its
> contrast. This could be done with pixel shaders, however do any of the
> open source drivers support them? (Let alone the hardware itself...) You
> could also fake it by re-rendering to a lower resolution then scaling it
> back up.

The usual real-time way is to render the original to a texture,
generate mipmaps for the texture and then use texture-bias so that you
paint into the screen a lower-resolution texture before overlaying the
translucent item. Notice that this does not need any pixel shader,
just a fast mipmap generator (depends on the driver support), or even
if this is not provided, then use multitexturing to implement a
box-filter yourself: you can get 4 samples/pixel with each texture
source by sampling the original pixels with a (+0.5,+0.5) difference
in (U,V) coordinates