[Fedora-i18n-list] PROPOSAL: restructure the choice of input methods

Akira TAGOH tagoh at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 04:55:47 UTC 2006

JP> Ok, so the main change here is that scim, uim, etc will basically just
JP> need to setup a single alternative rather than one for each
JP> "supported" locale.  I understand xinput-default here to mean the
JP> current symlink "/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default ->
JP> /etc/alternatives/xinput-default".

Yes, that's right.

>> - single input methods, such as XIM server provides the
>> alternatives name, xinput-ll_CC for only their supported
>> locale. i.e. if one supports ja_JP.* locale, it has to
>> provides xinput-ja_JP.

JP> This is unchanged.

Yes, it's actually the same thing as what currently they
does. I just explained it to clarify what maintainers needs
to do for them.

>> - $HOME/.xinput.d would be obsoletes. it is maybe
>> overkill. just a file like .xinputrc would be better.

JP> I would like to suggest using "/etc/X11/xinit/xinputrc" for the system
JP> file instead of "/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default", since that seems
JP> more consistent and logical IMHO.

Well, can you explain more details how it works?
right now all xinput scripts such as scim, uim etc etc is
put under /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d and symlinks for
alternatives as well. are you suggesting to just replace
/etc/X11/xinit/xinit.d/default to /etc/X11/xinit/xinputrc?
i.e. alternatives --install /etc/X11/xinit/xinputrc
xinput-default /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim 81?

JP> So basically the current locale selecting code in xinput.sh will move
JP> to this alternative script for xim client setup.  We could also
JP> consider renaming "/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/" to say
JP> "/etc/X11/xinit/xim.d/" at the same time: that would avoid confusion
JP> between the old xinput.d system and the new xinputrc system.

Sounds good - then where should be xinput scripts put onto?

>> - xinput.sh reads only xinput-default (and .xinputrc for the
>> user-specific thing) and stop to find ll_CC things against
>> current locale. according to the above reasons.

JP> So xinput.sh would first try "~/.xinputrc" and if that doesn't exist
JP> it would read "/etc/X11/xinit/xinputrc".

Yes, what I want to say was that the bahavior is based on
current one and looking ll_CC thins up will be
removed.

--
Akira TAGOH