UnleashKDE

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 17:11:26 UTC 2006

On 6/7/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 09:33 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > >

> > But doesn't that near eleiminate the easy possibility of offline
> > installation? I know no one who uses Fedora + Gnome. And when ever I
> > install Linux for a new person, I install Fedora  + KDE, or give them
> > instructions to install it them selves.
>
> Thats why another blocker is being able to spin custom CDs out of Core
> +Extras packages for installation.  Being able to spin a specific
> Fedora-KDE CD.  Please do check the wiki page.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnleashKDE

My apologies to all for not reading the wiki page pre-posting. Please
ignore the majority of my rant.

What would be the possiblity, of getting the kde-redhat guys to be a
full part of this project? No offense to those involved, but I have
found their "spin" of KDE to be of better quality, so getting some of
those maintainers onboard would be nice.

But please take some caution with all of this. The Fedora Project
already has a lot of negaitve , all be it misinformed, bad press
surrounding it. Just head over /. and see for yourself when ever a
Fedora story comes up. Going around with titles such as "Unleash KDE"
and "Kde into Extras" seem a bit ill advised.

Slightly off-topic, but some technical educating in contributing to
Extras would be nice, of if such documentation existing, making it
more available. I have tried rolling an RPM, out of curiousity, and I
must say it isn't exactly a rewarding experience. Flattening out the
learning curve to contributing in terms of packaging _may_ be
beneficial. For example, if it was easy enough to KDE themes and
styles, I might have contributed some to Extras by now. But I may just
not have put enough effort into my attempt as it was not esseential at
the time.

Peace

--
To be updated...