can't install debug rpm with yum.

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 8 09:12:51 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 21:00 -0400, Sean wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:30:53 -0400
>> "Ryan Skadberg" <skadz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem you're poorly diagnosing isn't really in yum. The crux of
> the problem is out of sync mirrors being in the mirror list. That's a
> problem we're working on now by taking some work that another project
> has done to check the status of a mirror to make sure that the metadata
> it has matches the metadata that the mirror master has.
Couldn't this be achieved fairly simply ?
- yum gets repomd.xml from masterURL (new setting in .repo)
- cache the master repomd.xml as repomd.xml.master
- uses that to compare files including (repomd.xml) grabbed from the
preferred (and next and so on) mirror, until it gets a response and the
checksum matches.

"another project" sounds like doing something similar to the above would
be a major undertaking ?

* it would be nice to be able to query both ftp and http servers for the
checksum of a file as it exists on their disk - before you (yum)
downloads it :) As far as I know no such capability exists for either
service type ? Then you could:
- give me sha1sum /mirror/fedora/core/update/5/packages/mc-7.8.9.rpm
- = sopqierpqowierpoqie
- wrong, move to next mirror before even downloading (especially good
when mirrors have corrupt or incomplete data). I remember once a bad
download of 50M occur about 10 times (from different mirrors) until a
good download was found.

* repomd.xml does have <timestamp>1149589443</timestamp> already
could yum / urlgrabber get the (ht/f)tp servers file mod time before
deciding to download (that mirrors) copy of the file ?  Even checking
byte size before download would avoid wasted downloads (but it isn't
already in repomd.xml).

DaveT.