Can't uninstall multiple instances of a package

Émeric Maschino emeric.maschino at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Jun 13 08:07:57 UTC 2006

> Buggy old versions of yum used to leave multiple package versions
> installed all the time. Yum didn't care but this caused apt to puke
> unless you fixed it. (This was back around FC2/FC3)

How can this be possible with a Rawhide installation? I freshly
installed Rawhide a few monthes ago on this PC, not an update from a
FC/FC2/FC3/FC4/FC5 installation.

> Anyway, the way to fix it is to specify an exact version to remove. Just
> copy and paste what rpm -q tells you:
>
> rpm -e quake2-3.20-glibc-6

I forgot to mention that I already tried this. And I was answered that
there was no quake2-3.20-glibc-6 package.

> ... But as you claim to have multiple same versions installed, that may
> not be enough. (Your system seems a bit more b0rked than even I ever
> managed...)

Yep, it seems. But is the problem due to some deficiencies in current
Rawhide rpm/yum or the quake2 package? In my opinion, rpm/yum should be
able to totally control the database. If no rpm nor yum can solve the
problem, is there a manual way to repair/purge the database, except than
rpm --rebuilddb that did nothing?

	Émeric