Request for comments: Laptop improvements

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Jun 16 06:31:58 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 13:49 -0700, Paul Dickson wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:59:59 +0200, Phil Knirsch wrote:
>
> > Now, what i would like to ask of you is to give me some input on what
> > you think might be something where we could do better on laptops. So if
> > you could spare a few minutes and write me a short email with the
> > thoughts you have that would be greately appreciated.
>
> My Dell Inspiron 6000 has 7 buttons on the for playing media.  These work
> with Gnome Shortcut for the built-in speakers.  It does not work if I use
> headphones.  I need to use Gnome Mixer to control both speakers and
> headphones at the same time.

Along these lines, I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 which includes a
sub-woofer.  The speakers are handled by the Master Volume in the Volume
Control, but the sub-woofer is handled by the Master Mono channel.  As a
result, you can't use the volume up/down/mute buttons on the laptop (set
through Gnome's Keyboard Shortcuts) because they only alter the Master
volume and not Master Mono.  When you turn down the volume, the sub
keeps woofing away.

There needs to be some way to 'tie' together the Master and Master Mono
channels.

R.
 It's much better on my side"