Request for comments: Laptop improvements

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Jun 16 22:29:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 13:39 +0200, Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:
> Besides all the suggestions that have already been made, I would like to
> have a better video-projector handling. Video-projectors often do not
> support the high definition of the video screens. Up to FC3 (not yet
> fully FC5 on this topic), special X11 modes need to be configured for
> video-projectors and even then the borders of the screens often appear
> truncated....

Ah, and I thought it was just my 1920x1200 screen no playing nice with
projectors.

> Often, we still experience modes in which the internal and
> external outputs are mutually exclusive depending on the way the monitor
> is connected (eg a Dell D610 connected to the VGA videoprojector before
> boot time often disable the laptop screen, but works well when connected
> after boot, screen swicthing keys not working....).
>
> Given that laptops are often used for presentations, I think it would be
> nice to have some kind of improvement in this regard. I understand
> pretty well that most of the difficulties already mentionned for docking
> and X11 are relevant here.... but any (even small) improvement would be
> great. For example, a local hack consists at choosing at X startup time
> between various configurations (and some of them are videoprojector
> friendly). As simple as it is this is already a real progress with
> respect to presentations and docking.

I'd really like better project support too.

Also, it would be nice to have System > Administration > Display's
support for dual monitors just work (or even work in a small way).  I
know a couple of people who've set up dual displays and none of them
have had any luck with S > A > Display, having to hand edit the
xorg.conf instead.

R.

 It's much better on my side"