ahci vs. ata_piix at install

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Jun 17 02:12:06 UTC 2006

I've got an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad Z60m with an Intel 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA
controller.  When I boot rawhide (2006-06-16) installer, it loads the
AHCI module (I guess because that lists 8086:2653 as a supported PCI
ID).  Apparently, my system doesn't support AHCI mode (someone said I
should look for a BIOS option to change that but I don't have one), so
installation stops without finding a drive.  Manually choosing ata_piix
works.

FC5 loaded ata_piix and worked (although the running system also loads
ahci for some reason; it never finds any devices).

I started to bugzilla this, but I'm not sure what to file it against.
Would it be possible to prefer ata_piix when the PCI subsystem vendor is
IBM (1014)?  There appear to be only two overlapping PCI IDs between
ahci and ata_piix (8086:2652 and :2653).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>