Updating python in FC4

Mihai Ibanescu misa at redhat.com
Mon Jun 19 04:12:13 UTC 2006

Hello,

There are several bugs that were fixed between python 2.4.1 and 2.4.3
(including some bugs found by coverity), plus
several bug fixes in the packaging itself.

For a list of changes in python (the language), check out:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.3/NEWS.txt

Therefore, I went ahead and built new python packages, and pushed them in
updates/testing. You can retrieve them for your architecture from:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/4

or you can enable your updates-testing yum repo and install the newer python
(and python-docs) by running:

yum --enablerepo updates-testing update python python-docs

I am not expecting any major problems with python itself, since it has been
tested quite extensively in rawhide and FC5 already, but I'd really appreciate
help especially testing modules/programs outside of the python distribution
(like python-sqlite2, yum, postgresql-python etc).

Please use bugzilla to report any problems you find. If things go ok with a
particular piece of software, please drop me an email - I am in the process of
creating a wiki page.

Thanks!
Misa