UnleashKDE

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Jun 21 05:48:44 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 11:11, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 6/7/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 09:33 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > > But doesn't that near eleiminate the easy possibility of offline
> > > installation? I know no one who uses Fedora + Gnome. And when ever I
> > > install Linux for a new person, I install Fedora  + KDE, or give them
> > > instructions to install it them selves.
> >
> > Thats why another blocker is being able to spin custom CDs out of Core
> > +Extras packages for installation.  Being able to spin a specific
> > Fedora-KDE CD.  Please do check the wiki page.
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnleashKDE
>
> My apologies to all for not reading the wiki page pre-posting. Please
> ignore the majority of my rant.
>
> What would be the possiblity, of getting the kde-redhat guys to be a
> full part of this project? No offense to those involved, but I have
> found their "spin" of KDE to be of better quality, so getting some of
> those maintainers onboard would be nice.
>
> But please take some caution with all of this. The Fedora Project
> already has a lot of negaitve , all be it misinformed, bad press
> surrounding it. Just head over /. and see for yourself when ever a
> Fedora story comes up. Going around with titles such as "Unleash KDE"
> and "Kde into Extras" seem a bit ill advised.
>
> Slightly off-topic, but some technical educating in contributing to
> Extras would be nice, of if such documentation existing, making it
> more available. I have tried rolling an RPM, out of curiousity, and I
> must say it isn't exactly a rewarding experience. Flattening out the
> learning curve to contributing in terms of packaging _may_ be
> beneficial. For example, if it was easy enough to KDE themes and
> styles, I might have contributed some to Extras by now. But I may just
> not have put enough effort into my attempt as it was not esseential at
> the time.

I'm not sure if what you're asking for is a tutorial about how to build RPMs
or on how to build RPMs for Core & Extras.

If you want to learn (even from scratch) how to build RPMs, check out
[ http://www.gurulabs.com/GURULABS-RPM-LAB/GURULABS-RPM-GUIDE-v1.0.PDF ].
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor