Cosmetic startup issue with readahead scripts

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Jun 21 16:32:01 UTC 2006

Miloslav Trmac wrote :

> Matthias Saou napsal(a):
> > When booting my laptop, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it elsewhere too,
> > some startup scripts, most notably both readahead_early and readahead
> > print two "OK" lines, one with the long name "background readahead" and
> > the other with plain "readahead" or "readahead_early".
> >>
> > I simply fail to find where this might come from, and was wondering if
> > it was some problem only on my laptop or if others were seeing it.
> > Running "service readahead_early restart" prints a single line as
> > expected.
> Read /etc/rc.d/rc.  Ugly, but changing it won't help I'm afraid.
> 	Mirek

Indeed, the very last part of the "for i in /etc/rc$runlevel.d/S*" is
the cause, thanks for pointing it out :-)

Now to fix that... first I guess it should be asked if the 'else action
$"Starting $subsys: " $i start' is really useful. Aren't all current
init scripts expected to manage their output on their own?

That whole egrep being done seems badly broken by design, since it even
catches lines like "Reloading infrared remote control daemon
($prog)" (real example from the lirc package) only because there is
"daemon " on an echo line, not because it's daemon() being called.

Should I bugzilla this against initscripts and let discussion follow
there?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.90 (Test) - Linux kernel 2.6.17-1.2293_FC6
Load : 0.21 0.30 0.29