FC6 and macbook pro

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jun 21 21:08:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 15:31 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 15:16 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Note also that you should use the grub from Rawhide as it got the
> > necessary patches (the one is FC5 updates is lacking the keyboard patch
> > IIRC). Once issues 1-3 is worked out this is going to be a very nice
> > machine for running Fedora. Now If only ATI would get their act
> > together.. it would be perfect.
>
> The wireless situation for them also isn't very good.

FWIW ath_pci works well for me under NetworkManager, at least from a
practical point of view - do you have any experience with the Macbook
Pro that contradicts this or are you just speculating? It's also worth
noting that some people are working on a free replacement driver since
ath_pci needs binary goo to work.

Can I also add that installing said non-free drivers from a 3rd party
Fedora repository was really easy thanks to the kernel module packaging
effort spearheaded by Fedora Extras? From a practical point of view,
Fedora has indeed come a long way [1]. Thank you for this.

> Recommending them
> as a laptop to run Linux on and saying it'll work well isn't entirely
> truthful given what most people are going to want to do on a laptop.

Uh, I thought I specifically mentioned what non-free drivers are
required; sorry if you think that people could ever read my mail as an
endorsement.

    David

[1] : This is not an endorsement of non-free drivers. If you think it
is, you're crazy