installation path for cross compiler

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 22 10:46:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 10:47 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 09:47 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 08:57 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:

> So the correct but not working solution is to use a --prefix=/usr and
> the incorrect but working solution is to use
> --prefix=/opt/crosstools/<target>/ ? :-)

Working, in the sense of producing a functional toolchain are both.

For --prefix=/usr you currently have to cope with a couple of minor
functional regressions due to defects/bugs/oversights in GCC and (not
yet having been mentioned) with quite an amount of bugs in rpm.

For --prefix=/opt you will have to cope with even more bugs/deficits in
rpm (RH's rpm does a poor job on packaging outside of /usr [1]).

> So i guess I first get things as an RPM working in /opt and later worry
> about putting it in the "correct" place .

Installing to /opt or /opt/<whatever> (We use /opt/rtems
or /opt/rtems-4.7 for the rtems.org packages) definitely is easier from
a pure packaging point of view, and if ignoring the problems rpm has.

Ralf

[1] Last time, I checked SuSE's rpm had been doing slightly better.