installation path for cross compiler

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 22 13:38:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 15:10 +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> > what would be the correct installation path for a cross-compiler and
> > it's support include files and libraries ?
>
> We are packaging the cross stuff in the following way:
>
> /usr/
> |-- bin/
> |   |-- arm-xscale-linux-uclibc-ar      -> ../arm-xscale-linux-uclibc/bin/ar
> |   |-- arm-xscale-linux-uclibc-gcc     -> ../arm-xscale-linux-uclibc/bin/gcc
> |       ... ditto for the other devel tools ...
> |       ... in fact, some 'alternative' magic is involved too ...
> |
> |-- arm-xscale-linux-uclibc
> |   |-- bin/
> |   |   `-- ... lot of host executable files ...
> |   `-- sys-root/
> |       |-- bin/
> |       |   |-- busybox
> |       |       ... lot of target binaries ...
> |       |-- lib/
> |           |-- ld-uClibc-0.9.28.so
> |               ... lot of target libraries ...
> |-- lib/
> |   |-- gcc/
> |   |   |-- arm-xscale-linux-uclibc/
> |   |   |   |-- 4.1.1/
> |   |   |   |   ... lot of gcc 4.1.1 target files ...
> |
> |-- libexec/
> |   |-- gcc/
> |   |   |-- arm-xscale-linux-uclibc/
> |   |   |   |-- 4.1.1/
> |   |   |   |   ... lot of gcc 4.1.1 host files ...
>

> /usr/$ARCH/sys-root is packaged relocatable but it is a good place for
> target libraries and include files because gcc/binutils are looking
> there for them.

Glad to see we can agree upon something :)

This structure is largely identical to what we use (No surprise this is
the structure hard-coded into GCC).

In fact it is identical to that what we use for sys-rooted cross
toolchains (linux->{cygwin|freebsd|mingw|solaris}; target binaries
preinstalled to sys-root when building GCC).

The only major difference is you using sys-root, and us using
$prefix/$target/{include|lib}, which probably stems from you using a
sys-rooted built and us using a traditional one-tree style bootstrap
(libc built simultaneously to GCC). For the latter, sys-root is unused
and superfluous (actually it is harmful, cf. fixincludes).

Ralf