rpm packaging guideline question: differentiating between live/chroot installs?

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 01:55:29 UTC 2006

--- Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 15:21 -0700, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> > (How) Should one go about detecting in pre/post(/un) scripts in an rpm,
> whether
> > or not the rpm (de)installation is occurring on a live running system, or
> > within a chrooted (e.g. anaconda installer) based environment.
>
> This isn't something you should ever really need or want to do.

Thats certainly a clear policy, which I like.  I.e. that the assumption should
be a chrooted environment, and that anything which resembles futzing with a
live system is against policy (if I'm interpreting your statement correctly).

> > Specifically, lets pretend like qemu author decides to open source the
> kqemu
> > kernel module.
> >
> > It would seem you would want to modprobe the module during the post
> install,
> > and rmmod it during the postun(install).  But you would only want to do
> these
> > things if the rpm was being installed on a live system.  Not if you were
> doing
> > an rpm install in a chrooted environment (or whatever anaconda does during
> it's
> > normal install).
>
> No, you want to ensure that the module can get autoloaded when needed.
> This will be _far_ more robust than trying to do module
> installation/removal in scriptlets.

So what about the case of an update to kernel module?  Is it then the
responsibility of the installer (be it a script or a human) to rmmod the old
module, (or close the app which closes the device which(?) autounloads the
module), so that the next time the module is needed, the new module is
autoloaded?

-jdog