strip in rpmbuild

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jun 25 02:55:03 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 23:27 +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> > The question is, how can i control what files are to be stripped and
> > what "strip" to use ?
>
> * | %global __strip /usr/<your-arch>/bin/strip
>
>   should work
This way, you change rpm to use the target's "strip" for stripping host
binaries. This is not helpful.

> * you could try to inject something like
>
>   | PATH=/usr/<cross-arch>/bin:$PATH
>
>   e.g. at the end of %install (don't know whether that works; perhaps
>   you have to play with %__spec_install_post). Using such a path will
>   cover tools like objdump
Definitely no.

Putting /usr/<cross-arch>/bin in $PATH will render cross toolchains
unusable and will confuse configure scripts.

> * you should build your cross binutils with
>
>   | --enable-targets=<cross-arch>,%_host
>
>   to make the tools work with host binaries.

All you are doing here, is making binutils aware about several targets,

I fail to see what this would be useful for, and why this is related to
this question at all.

Ralf