rawhide report: 20060624 changes

Sun Jun 25 13:15:33 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 08:32 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Erwin Rol wrote:

> >> You can't. Use rpm from the command line.
> >
> > Maybe another stupid question, why can't yum do a force
> > update/upgrade/install ? I already needed it more than once due to
> > broken rawhide problems, like this one.
>
> Because Seth has stated more than once he does not want to allow people to
> screw up their machines by allowing yum to do things like --nodeps or --force.

They can just as easy screw up their machine with rpm --nodeps or rpm
--force, or even worse by trying to use rm to get rid of collisions, so
that seems like a lame excuse to not implement it.

> You should not be using these except in very rare instances anyway. What is so
> hard about typing rpm -Uvh --force nfs-utils-1.0.8-2-*?

Because i was thinking yum was the new update/install front end for rpm.
Also yum knows where to download the rpm files, so with rpm you first
have to "get" the rpm before you can fix things.

But anyway i will manage to get things fixed, with or without yum.

- Erwin