strip in rpmbuild

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 13:50:24 UTC 2006

On 6/25/06, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> Mingw's purpose is to enable to compile Unix SW to run it under Win,
> such that people can avoid using Unix/Linux and harvest Unix SW under
> Win.
>
> At least I am not interested in supporting this.

People can compile Unix SW to run under Windows without your support.
In fact, this is very important for the success of OSS and Linux.
Apart from being very beneficial for its image, getting people using
OSS such as Firefox on Windows creates a compatibility layer allowing
people to change to Linux more easily. If IE still had 99% of the
browser market, a huge number of websites wouldn't have become
compatible with Linux software. People dependent on IE would not be
able to easily change to Linux. If things like Apache or PHP could not
be run on Windows, a large number of web servers would be using IIS
and ASP and would be incapable of being switching to Linux.

You think that mingw allows people to avoid using Linux. This is
incorrect in most circumstances, simply because Linux is not avoided;
it's just ignored. Providing compatibility with things like mingw
hurts Microsoft far more than it hurts Linux, because Microsoft has
used incompatibility as a barrier to competition in order to keep its
monopoly. The people who do use Linux usually do so not because other
operating systems are incompatible with something they use on it, but
because they think it is better. That's very different from someone
who uses Windows because they are tied to certain applications even if
they know something better is out there.

n0dalus.