Moving ImageMagick to Extras?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Jun 25 20:31:10 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 20:24 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Ok, this leaves the question do any core packages use ImageMagick
>> during
>> build and which packages do?
>
> So according to my freshly ported repoquery, I get this:
>
> [jkeating at dhcp83-49 ~]$ ./repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps
> --repoid=development --repoid=development-source ImageMagick
> xfig-0:3.2.4-21.x86_64
> ImageMagick-perl-0:6.2.8.0-1.x86_64
> ImageMagick-0:6.2.8.0-1.i386
> ImageMagick-devel-0:6.2.8.0-1.i386
> ImageMagick-c++-0:6.2.8.0-1.x86_64
> ImageMagick-0:6.2.8.0-1.x86_64
> w3m-img-0:0.5.1-12.2.1.x86_64
> ImageMagick-devel-0:6.2.8.0-1.x86_64
> ImageMagick-c++-0:6.2.8.0-1.i386
> [jkeating at dhcp83-49 ~]$ ./repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps
> --repoid=development --repoid=development-source ImageMagick-devel
> ImageMagick-c++-devel-0:6.2.8.0-1.i386
> ImageMagick-c++-devel-0:6.2.8.0-1.x86_64
> [jkeating at dhcp83-49 ~]$ ./repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps
> --repoid=development --repoid=development-source ImageMagick-c++-devel
> [jkeating at dhcp83-49 ~]$
>
> So it would appear that the only thing needing it to build is xfig and
> w3m-img.  However I'm not entirely sure repoquery is getting the srpms
> that require it, I'm almost certain there are a few things that
> BuildRequire: ImageMagick but they aren't getting picked up.
>
> w3m is needed by things like mutt, not sure if we want to move that to
> Extras (yet) (:

Hmm,

Going offtopic a bit but this going to be all about soft versus
harddeps. Mutt does NOT require w3m, when you want to view html mail in
mutt you need _A_ html2text filter / pager. So that Requirement might
even be removed without breaking mutt, especially since most mailclients
send both plaintext and html versions (or atleadt they used to).

Also w3m-img does NOT need ImageMagick, it needs an image viewer to
invoke, currently it uses "display" from ImageMagick for this by
default. but this could be changed. I just tested to make sure and
"display" does not work without X, so any simple X image viewer will do.
IMHO gthumb for example would be better, for one because it has a much
better UI then display.

So if w3m-img is all thats stopping ImageMagick from moving from Core to
Extras then that can be fixed.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not saying that ImageMagick _must_ move,
just that it might be a good idea.

The amount of open bugs in bugzilla is absolutly mind boggling and it
just seems a good idea to me to shift some packages to Extras where a
(hopefully) growing community can pick them up and start fixing all
those bugs. leaving core packagers with more time to fix bugs in their
packages.

As I've already tried to discuss in another thread another option would
be to make it easier for the community to help fix core bugs.

Regards,

Hans