Moving ImageMagick to Extras?

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Mon Jun 26 08:55:37 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 04:45:12PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> I'm continually baffled by the resistance to move things into Extras.
> As a user, why should it matter to you?  When you run pup or pirut, can
> you really tell what comes from Extras and what comes from Core?  As a
> developer, this would give you more access to help the development of
> said component.  How can this be a bad thing?  Once we get to the point
> where we spin ISO sets that are Core and Extras packages to complete a
> theme or goal (Fedora Desktop, Fedora Web Server, Fedora Development,
> etc..) then does it _really_ matter if its in Core or Extras?  This is
> why I said "yet" as we need to get to where "shipped" isos have the
> content necessary for that goal of theme.
>
> Please, do let me know why there is resistance.

Two reasons:

-  What about QA?  I'm fearing that the QA for the Extras packages
   is not the same as for Core.  Is that right, or...?  At least
   I've already seen Extras packages (don't remember which ones)
   that seem of pretty poor quality (packaging-wise).

-  The relation between FC and RHEL.  I think there is officially
   no relation, but I can't suppress the thoughts that there is one.
   I've already seen good-old "nmh" being removed from FC and RHEL.

In fact, my main reason is the quality issue.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>