FC more FHS clashes (was: BIND and FHS)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 7 00:08:11 UTC 2006

Once upon a time, Tomasz Koczko <kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl> said:
> Current FC have much more FHS clashes with FHS.
> More examples:
>
> - many programs still uses /var/spool/mail,

I haven't read FHS, but changing from /var/spool/mail would be a major
backwards compatibility problem.

Also, just because programs reference /var/spool/mail doesn't mean it is
incorrect.  Many programs simply fall back to /var/spool/mail if $MAIL
isn't set (I expect that at least some of them have other traditional
paths hard coded for compatibility).

> - many programs still uses /usr/sbin/sendmail
>   instead /usr/lib/sendmail (acording to FHS on this path must be
>   avaialible sendmail commandline compliant program and for save this
>   complinace anly this path will be good use).

That's just dumb.  Requiring a binary in /usr/lib is bad for many
reasons (multi-arch like x86_64 for example).  Having a compatibility
symlink from /usr/lib/sendmail to /usr/sbin/sendmail is not a bad idea
(but come on, it has been something like 10 years or more since
/usr/sbin was the recommended place for sendmail).  Things should
reference /usr/sbin/sendmail as the proper place (/usr/lib/sendmail
being just for broken programs).

Does FHS say /usr/lib/sendmail should just exist or that it should be
used _instead of_ /usr/sbin/sendmail?

Also, again, some of your matches are also compatibility matches for
traditional paths on different OSes.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>