Fedora Core 5 Status

Philippe Rigault prigault at oricom.ca
Fri Mar 10 17:20:33 UTC 2006

> Due to circumstances outside of our control, we're going to be unable to
> keep to the scheduled date of March 15th for the release of FC5 and
> instead are going to have to make the release date Monday, March 20th.
> While unfortunate in some ways, this gives us the opportunity to pull in
> the final GNOME 2.14 tarballs which should be available on Monday
> assuming the changes are suitably minor.
>
> Jeremy

I have two problems with this:

The first is that FC5 will be released essentially _untested_ after two of its
main components were upgraded to a stable release after FC5test3:
 - gcc 4.1.0
 - glibc-2.4

It could be argued that FC5 will be _released_ with a stable release of its
compiler and C library, but not that this had been tested.

The second goes the same way, arguing that if test3 is the latest test
release, any new major component should _not_ be upgraded to a new release,
which is particularly true for a big beast like GNOME.

Here are comments from Jesse and Alan made after I raised the very point of
GNOME 2.14:
> On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 11:57 -0500, Philippe Rigault wrote:
> >
> > I also very much hope that this will be an opportunity for re-assessing
the
> > relevance of March 15 as the release date for FC5-final, which I see a the
> > worst possible choice in March, given the following release dates:
> > March 15        GNOME-2.14, koffice-1.5
> > March 17        KDE-3.5.2
> >
>On  Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:15:54 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Unfortunately large changes such as the ones above would generally
> require another test release before making it final.  We're trying to
> get all our major changes in before test3 so that the time between test3
> and final is spent fixing all the BUGS found in test3 rather than
> introducing more new software  and more new bugs.
>
>--
>Jesse Keating RHCE      (geek.j2solutions.net)
>Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedoralegacy.org)
>GPG Public Key          (geek.j2solutions.net/jkeating.j2solutions.pub)
>
>On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:37:30 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
>It would need to be a large delay because moving to major new versions means
>invalidating a lot of the testing work in T1/T2. If sliding test2 a bit to
fit
>these would have worked then maybe there would be a practical way to do it,
but
>test3 > final is about polishing critical final bugs.
>
>Alan

In conclusion, I think that:
 1. There should be a new test release, so that gcc/glibc are tested before
FC5 final
 2. Since GNOME 2.14 may happen before this test release, it could be
included.

Cheers,

Philippe