System clock speedup with latest kernels

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at freesurf.fr
Mon Mar 13 18:47:17 UTC 2006

Right,

the main implication of running in "noapic" mode is a performance hit, as
interrupts are not handled as efficiently. For systems that are heavily
interrupt driven (includes those that have a lot of network traffic such as
web servers) this might be measurable. Nonetheless, the benefits of SMP
almost always outweigh this impact. You could try once with and once without
the "noapic" option to measure networking performance respectively.

Cheers,

-JF