wpa_supplicant support for ifup

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Mar 15 10:50:42 UTC 2006

Le Mer 15 mars 2006 03:51, Bill Nottingham a écrit :
>> for me :)
>> >
>> > This should really be done in NM.
>>
>> NM doesn't support system network configuration; only when a user logs
>> in will NM work.  That is supposed to change eventually, but people are
>> trying to use WPA today.
>
> True. But the goal is to only have *one* source of network configuration;

If you want this NM, gnome-power-manager and other GFX tools need to grow
a CLI/daemon personality ASAP.

You can't complain no one wants to rely on them if they deliberately
ignore everything that's not an open Gnome session.

> hence, I'm leery to add features for something that we're going to be
> deprecating.

If the new utilities stick to the gui session ghetto they'll be the ones
deprecated eventually.

Red Hat/Fedora unfortunately has a long history of writing gui management
utilities (printing, package management...) that were never designed to
provide full needs coverage, couldn't be extended to do it and eventually
were axed because of this. I'd be delighted to learn this has changed but
for now I wouldn't bet on what will eventually be deprecated.

Please do feel free to correct me.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot