Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Mar 21 05:10:19 UTC 2006

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 20:23 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>>Personally, I think it would be confusing as hell to have a single
>>src.rpm generate binary rpms of which some are in Fedora Core and
>>others are in Fedora Extras.  That would be made more confusing
>>since Fedora has separate bugzilla product/etc. for Core and for
>>Extras (and for Legacy).  Since bugzilla components themselves are
>>based from the name of the src.rpm, one would have to file a bug
>>report from a binary package from extras against Fedora Core for the
>>src.rpm it was built from.
>>
>>I can think of other complications and confusion that would ensue
>>as well.  I'm not sure what to suggest to solve those issues however.
>
> Less separation between core and extras. Like maybe none. (cough Debian
> cough)

Hmm, that's actually an interesting point.  ;o)  Perhaps in the
future we could move away from the current model of repository
level separation, to a more responsibility oriented level of
separation or somesuch.  In other words, there are reasons why
things are the way they are now, which led to the solution of
having Core and Extras seprate.  However, that doesn't mean it
is the only way for us to achieve whatever goals are needed.

Perhaps the separation could be rethought out.  I guess the first
step would be to clearly define what the specific reasons are for
Fedora Core being separate from Extras right now.  If we can
define those reasons completely and clearly, they could be
"MUST-HAVE" features used as a basis for a new concept of
putting things together perhaps..

Just open brainstorming...  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca