Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Mar 21 05:39:12 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:
> tir, 21 03 2006 kl. 00:00 -0500, skrev Mike A. Harris:
>

>>I told him perhaps he should just purchase Fedora Core on CD instead,
>>and indicated there were many places online which you could order CDs.
>>He said it would be about $10, which again is like 5% of his monthly
>>income.  And that's a twice a year cost.  He said that buying Fedora
>>CDs locally was more expensive for "free software" than buying bootleg
>>copies of Windows XP down the street for $2-5 a pop.
>

> Please note that in the spirit of the community and all that, a lot of
> us "wealthy" westerners do spend a considerable amount of money shipping
> totally free copies of Fedora around the world. If he or anyone wants a
> copy but cannot download it, #fedora on irc.freenode.net is a good place
> to find friendly people to help and every Linux forum I've ever been to
> has had a sticky thread offering free copies of Linux mailed anywhere in
> the world.
>
> Getting Linux is not a problem if you utilise the community. It's one of
> the reasons Linux is such a great thing to be part of.

That's a wonderful idea!  I never even thought of that.  The cost of one
of us Westerners shipping a CD/DVD anywhere in the world is probably
about the same cost or close to it of someone buying it online give or
take a few bucks, but the bigger difference is that to me or you it is
the price of a few cups of coffee, whereas it's like making a car or
house payment to people in some parts of the world.

<brainstorming>
Perhaps a http://www.fedora-for-free.org or
http://www.fedora-philanthropy.org could be set up, in which people in
various parts of the world who can't afford to buy CD/DVDs or to easily
download them to go to get them sent to them for free, and other people
such as ourselves could contribute a few bucks each release to fund the
distribution.
</brainstorming>

Just an idea.

--