Wild and crazy times for the development tree

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Mar 21 07:40:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 23:37 -0600, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I have this gnawing feeling that ATI and nVIDIA are the twin rocks on
> which desktop Linux is going to founder.

We're back in the early days of XFree86 all over again.

It'll get better.

So when is someone going to start reverse engineering nVidia hardware?
There's support in Utah-GLX that no one's yet bothered to port over to
DRI, and some guy has written drivers for BeOS, though I've been unable
to find the actual source for the driver. Just an unmodified copy of
Mesa...

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/nVidia?action=highlight&value=CategoryHardware
http://www.haikunews.org/1050
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/be-hold/BeOS/NVdriver/download.html

It seems having well maintained binary drivers is a great deterrent to
the community reverse engineering its own. ATI hardware is actively
being reverse engineered, the Aureal Vortex cards got reverse
engineered, Broadcom and TI ACX1xx wireless has been reverse engineered.
But no nVidia support is being maintained that I know of...