Mirrorlist missing mirrors?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 21:42:35 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> And if using -redirect directly also produces sporadic failures for
> some people with similiar clientside symptoms?  There are other,
> pre-existing issues which some users can run into.. things like
> timeout settings which could be mis-diagnosed as problems associated
> with the new redirect layer simply because the redirect process is new
> and opaque from the client pov.

Very frustrating... how do I help users who are complaining about errors like..
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
[Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: repodata/primary.xml.gz from updates: [Errno 256] No
more mirrors to try.

now that there is a serverside redirector in place.. how do I help
track down which mirror is out of sync so it can be reported
appropriate?

And appearantly even though there are multiple instances of the same
url in the mirrorlist, yum doesn't fail over to the next listing like
they are different mirrors like it use to when the mirrorlist was a
set of distinct mirrors. Instead the error occurs and yum bails like
there was only a single mirror in the list. The single repeated
redirecting URL appears to shortcircuit "mirrorlist" functionality.

-jef