Mirrorlist missing mirrors?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 00:07:15 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:
> I agree that the lack of debug info is sucky. Is this something that can
> be fixed with a yum update, or is the fastestmirror plugin distributed
> separately?

I can't answer that.. i haven't started my patent-pending process of
putting in random print statements into either the yum code, the
urlgrabber code or the fastestmirror plugin yet to see how much
information i can actually sneak out about where the redirect is
actually redirecting me.  And now that the rediector has been reverted
back to a list, I don't have a url to use my patent-pending print
statement insertion method with.

Let's be clear here... i only turned on the fastestmirror verbositing
because at the moment its the most verbose information I have without
putting random print statements in. This is also something in trying
to avoid because I want to be able to give instructions to users as
they experience problems so that the specifics of each incident can be
recorded. I'm really not prepared to tell people to patch their update
client willy-nilly, even if it is just python scripts. I don't want to
cause more errors with my patent-pending print statement insertion
method.

> Hmm, do you know if yum does the mirror selection on a per-file basis or
> once for all the downloads for a particular repo during a particular
> session?
>
> Out of syncedness should only really be an issue for rawhide...

Uhm... while i respect the "should only" point of view.. it was
definitely happening with the redirector for core and updates.

> Maybe
> Updates as well to some extent, but updates doesn't churn nearly as much
> and is more likely to be in sync between mirrors.

Again i cannot stress how difficult is to argue either way as to the
extent of mirror sync is going to be a problem if the redirector is
opaque with regard to which mirrors end up resulting in sync issues.
If I can't track symptoms for reproducibility per mirror I'm just
going to advise people to open bug reports to try to accumulate stats
as to general occurance of the problem. But I know how that will end,
the bugs will be closed because there wont be enough information to do
anything about it.. per report.

-jef