The joys of rawhide returning to form

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 17:54:24 UTC 2006

For the last couple of weeks as rawhide settled into FC5 I had a
completely working system. Now that the freeze has been lifted for a
couple of days I yum updated this morning.

Printing broke.

There was a cups update. I think I saw a scriptlet fail. There appears
to be no default printer. Using the control panel to remove the
current (USB) printer and remake a new one doesn't help. Test printing
fails.

X broke

There was an X server update. I have an ATI Radeon R300 so am involved
in the DRI fray. In previous versions commenting out the load of the
DRI module worked but in the new version DRI looks like it is still
attempted and I get the black screen of death. Reverted to the X
server rpm off the FC5 cd.

ipw2200 broke

There was a kernel upgrade (2074) and now the driver won't load.
Booted the 2064 kernel which continues to work.

So that was no X, no wireless and no printing. Eeeks.

I'll try to file some bug reports when I get a chance.

darrell