Core 5 and Samba issues

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Thu Mar 23 17:17:53 UTC 2006

 From a fresh install of FC5 I was joining my box to the office domain
and came across a few issues.

Let me start by saying, system-config-samba is a very good tool.  It has
some holes in functionality, but samba has always been a thorn in my
side and this tool made it a whole lot easier.  However, if I go to
Server Settings and select "ADS" for authentication, when I enter my
Realm it joins the realm line with the line that follows it in the
smb.conf which causes problems even when the following line is a comment.

Second, there seems to be an issue with SELinux policies and
kerberos/samba.  When I've properly configured /etc/krb5.conf and samba,
then try to do a "net join", the action fails with the error "end point
not connected".  Even selecting "Disable SELinux" for smbd, nmbd,
winbind and kerberos, the action fails.  After "setenforce 0" the action
succeeds.  After the "net join" is complete, selinux can (apparently) be
reset to enforcing.

Finally, SWAT is evil.  I used it to add a printer and it obliterated my
config from system-config-samba.  Is there somewhere to make a
recommendation to the user to use one or the other, but not both?

e.