Intelligent Anaconda (was: Re: The Morning After)

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 05:42:20 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, Hans Kristian Rosbach <hk at isphuset.no> wrote:

> In my opinion when you boot anaconda from CD1, it should ask you what
> cds you have available. So if I only downloaded CD1 & 2 it would not
> allow me to select packages that are not available on those two cds,
> possibly asking me whether I want yum to download what I don't have.

I have suggested this before, and thought it would best be combined
with a web interface on the Fedora website which would clone the
install interface. Apart from allowing an easy way to generate
kickstart files, it could also tell you which CDs you would need for
your installation.

Perhaps the most useful thing that a site like this would do is help
work out which packages should be on what CDs to have the lowest
average number of CDs needed per installation. It would also allow
developers to see which installation options are the most used in
practice.

Just some ideas,
n0dalus.