Anaconda: good work!

Jörn Rink j.rink at freenet.de
Fri Mar 24 13:44:20 UTC 2006

Am Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:12:09 -0500
hat "Dimi Paun" <dimi at lattica.com> (Dimi Paun) folgendes geschrieben:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Just wanted to share a few thoughts about anaconda,
> while fresh in my mind (I've managed to install FC5
> last night).
>
> First impression: anaconda really rocks! This is a
> very solid, pleasant installer.

Yes, but since Redhat mkkickstart i missed something which let
me take SUSE for automatic installation in our firm.

You have no choice to get some individual input into the installation.

What i mean:
we have to install nearly 500 computer automatically in the office of
our customers (banks). Each computer has its own, predefined name, and
we are using logical (virtuell, self generated) MAC Adresses for
these PC's. So, tell me how to get the MAC Adress into the
installation via menu? The customer has to input it. For the
suse Installation we hav solved this with dialog tricks over the
autoyast console text menu to get the input.

And the network interface is configured AFTER the input.

I have no idea how to implement this in an anaconda kickstart
installation. Thats my wish, a point in the installation where i can,
if i want, ask for individual settings which override the ks.cfg
settings.

When anyone has an idea for this, i am the first who changed the
auto install from SuSE to fedora ;-)

CU
 Joern Rink