Anaconda: good work!

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Mar 24 21:41:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 15:05 +0000, Jon Burgess wrote:
> Chris Lumens wrote:
> > We can't really do this easily.  Making a new anaconda means making new
> > first and second stage images, which means making new CD and DVD images,
> > which means a huge headache for mirrors and for keeping track of all
> > these versions of images floating around.
>
> Using Jigdo http://atterer.net/jigdo/ could help reduce the amount of
> data needed to be stored by the mirrors for a re-spun CD/DVD ISOs. It
> reduces the amount of data to be downloaded if the user already has the
> original ISOs.

Do you realize how many bugs get filed a week due to people with bad CDs
even when they download the _exact_ bits and just have to burn them?
Even when mediacheck is prominently present and will tell them their
media is bad?

Now, let's multiple that by some factor due to the images having to be
constructed.  Personally, I'd rather not. :(

Jeremy