FC5: first impressions

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Fri Mar 24 22:45:57 UTC 2006

From: "Rahul Sundaram" <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>
> > 1. Metacity's new window in the background
>
> We have a bug report open it. Upstream has tentatively agreed to make it
> a option disabled by default

What means "disabled by default"? I hope we get the old behaviour
by default :)

<offtopic flamewar="false" excuse="friday">
Anyway, I think these are the kind of changes that irk people a
lot as far as GNOME approach to usability goes: experimental
behavior that is highly subjective, which is being forced onto
the masses with no way of opting out.

I know, I know, this is not the list for this sort of complaints,
but these are things that people perceive as being "the disto",
and I think that Fedora should use its clout to fight these kind
of changes upstream. Especially when they originate from Red Hat :)
(BTW, I dread posting to the GNOME lists about this, I can almost
hear the your-are-not-our-target-customer-eveybody-is-happy-with-it
kind of response...)
</offtopic>

> > 2. Evolution can't print
>
> Do you have a bug report open on this?

No, I'll file one when I get home.

> > 3. Gedit's tab
>
> Might request a option to turn this off in bugzilla.gnome.org or post to
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/index.html

For curiosity's sake, am I the only one that hates this?

> You are talking about Firefox 1.5's fast back feature that stores a
> rendered copy of the history in it's cache. It might gobble up some RAM
> if you browse a large number of sites with huge images in it but it's
> good otherwise. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it works brilliantly! It's really really good for reading LKML :)

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.