smbfs not in the FC5 kernel?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Mar 25 13:23:58 UTC 2006

Am Samstag, den 25.03.2006, 18:24 +0530 schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
> On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 13:44 +0100, Jörn Rink wrote:
> > my old method to mount a smbfs filesystem does not work, further
> > investigation shows, that the smbfs kernel module does not exist in the
> > actual FC5 kernel.
> >
> > Has the method changed? In fedora core 3 there was such a kernel module.
> smbfs has been deprecated by CIFS. Try using that.

Exactly.

<criticism mode> But why the heck are the Core developers simply closing
#179451, #185363 and #186427 instead of reassigning the bug to
util-linux? I suppose the maintainers of mount should be able to patch
it somehow so it uses cifs automatically instead of the old smbmnt
(which will fail due to missing smbfs support in the kernel). That would
avoid a lot of confusion.</criticism mode>

I couldn't find a bug that requests such a change. I'll file one later
today.

CU
thl