Known issues with nForce4-4x chipset and recent kernels?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Sat Mar 25 15:50:14 UTC 2006

Nicolas Mailhot wrote :

> Le samedi 25 mars 2006 à 15:39 +0100, Matthias Saou a écrit :
>
> > I can boot from the sata drive on that controller too, but again, even
> > after loading sata_sil from the initrd, it doesn't find the drive,
> > complains about /dev/root not found etc. and panics.
>
> Another boog I hit was FUA doing crazy things with my disks, but I think
> the sata people wanted to disable it in 2.6.16 final
>
> Apart from this I don't remember any particular problem. Sorry

FUA?
Right now, I'm running the latest FC3 errata kernel (2.6.12-1.1381_FC3) on
this FC5 system. Needless to say that things aren't smooth, especially
since udev really doesn't like that kernel.

I've tried the FC5 kernel, the latest FC4 update kernel the latest FC5
testing update kernel and the FC development kernel, and none have sata_nv
nor sata_sil output anything in the kernel messages, as if the devices
weren't there! OTOH, the FC3 kernel sees all of the 8 (in total) sata
ports, and the drive works great.

Something seems to have happened between 2.6.12 and 2.6.15 regarding
nForce4 chipsets, since even the parallel ata doesn't work properly *sigh*.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) - Linux kernel 2.6.16-1.2069_FC5
Load : 0.21 0.11 0.03